Sail across that glimmering coast where the gentle breeze from the azure sea shore awakens your senses. As you ascend the rolling hills, the smell of fresh tea plantations tickles your nostrils. High up in that forest the sounds of tiny chirping birds welcome you to the world unseen and as you meander through the small towns, the chattering of the locals restores your wandering energy.
Did you not forget about all those ‘hundred things to do’ at home and work for a moment? Welcome to Tanzania, a place that redefines travelling as you detach from routine and connect yourself with nature.
This month we bring to you, top detox destinations in Tanzania that are a real treat for your well-being. Be it for Valentine’s weekend, a solo exploration or a group expedition, let go off all the stress and head to one of our five promising getaways offering a dreamy retreat inexotic spaces.
1) The Enchanted Forest of Udzungwa Mountains
photo by Moiz Hussein
Where the brilliant sunshine penetrates deep through the thick canopies and colourful flora, and the swift music of the waterfall greets tiny insects, monkeys and birds, the only living species in the forest. The Udzungwa Mountains National Park, is a unique and untouched verdant forest in South Tanzania, marked by rising natural trails and a deep valley below. Perch the mountains above 1500 metres and indulge in a breath-taking experience. This wilderness paradise is among the 34 World Biodiversity Hotspots and is a top 100 recognized eco-region by the World Wild Fund.
Attractions : Verdant mountain scenery, Iringa Red Colobus Monkey and the Sanje Crested Mangabey
- Camping safari amid the lush settings of the Eastern Arc
- Hiking to the Sanje waterfalls
- Exploring vibrant plants and bird watching
- Canoeing around the Kilombero River
- Cycling on flat terrains
2) The Quiet Costal Town of Pangani
Situated on the mouth of River Pangani and nestled amid the swishing palms, this serene town has its own little charm that culminate as nostalgic memories. From the green turtles that cross the pristine beaches, to snorkelling spots around the Maziwe marine park and historical sites that define the rustic ambience of the town, you will love to come here for a soothing holiday and to take solace in a tropical environ away from the humdrum of a hectic life.
Attractions : Clean beaches, colonial ruins, Swahili houses, slave market and Old Port.
- River cruising in the Pangani
- Snorkelling and dolphin watching in Maziwe Marine Park
- Walking and cycling tours around the farms and villages
- Beach strolls and yoga along the coast
- Educational tours to sites of endangered green turtles
3) Rolling Cool Hills of Mufindi Highlands
Imagine watching from your window; acres of land scapes covered in blankets of tiny leafy tea plantations with occasional sightings of mist and fog playing on the waving hills almost 2000 metres high. Mufindi offers a delightful respite from the heat and makes for an ideal retreat, away from the crowds where all you want to do is relax and detox from the chaos of a city life. Close to Iringa and Ruaha National Park in the southern safari circuit, you will love the surprising change in the landscape and climate in Mufindi highlands.
Attractions : Forested hills, tea plantations, wooden cabin cottages and fresh farm produce.
- Cycling around villages for a cultural experience
- Horse riding across forest trails and mountain valleys
- Trout fishing at a nearby lake
- Strolling amid tea plantations
- Bird watching during early morning or late evening
4) In the Tropical Beach Paradise of Zanzibar
Set your foot on the white powdery shores of the spice island and you will never want to go back home. Known for luxury resorts, unspoilt beaches and an intriguing Swahili culture, Zanzibar makes for a perfect detox destination for travellers of all ages and kinds. Spend a romantic weekend on the Matemwe island, chill out and go sailing with your friends on the Nungwi beach or simply go for a relaxing excursion with your family in Paje. There are endless choices of things to do in Zanzibar while also enjoying blissful moments by the beach.
Attractions : Historical sites in Stone Town, Mnarani sea curtle Conservation pond, spice farms, sea weed conservation, Jozani forest
- Snorkelling and diving
- Sunset cruising
- Spa and Massage therapies
- Beach Yoga sessions
- Beach strolling at dusk or dawn
5) The Secret Floral Spectacle of Kitulo National Park
Did you ever want to experience one of those ‘Instagram like’ moments; standing amid a vast field of wild flowers while admiring the majestic landscapes? Perched between the Livingstone mountains and the Kipengere Poroto peak, the magical Kitulo Plateau National Park is the only kind in Africa featuring a marvellous display of over 350 varieties lilies, orchids, daisies, exotic birds and mammals that thrive in a vibrant setting. This hidden gem is dubbed as ‘Bustani Ya Mungu’ – God’s Garden and is a wonderland to visit between the months of November and April where the landscape bursts into vibrant colours.
Attractions : Floral exploration of above 400 species and migrating Storks from Europe
- Bird watching; unique species such as Denham’s bustard, Blue Swallow, mountain marsh widow, Kipenegere seedeater and European Storks.
- Hiking on flowering trails and Livingstone mountains
- Walking safaris amid grasslands and wildflowers
Are your carried away by rejuvenating essence of these serene destinations? Uniglobe Skylink would love to plan a special retreat at your choice of holiday haven. Write to us sharing where would you like to go and we will tailor an unforgettable blissful sojourn for you.